Minor in BME
Contact Taimi Marple, the Undergraduate Program Coordinator.
The biomedical engineering minor provides substantive exposure to the biological and engineering sciences and gives students a basic perspective on the complex structure and function of living systems and their analysis by physical and engineering principles. The minor is available to students in all majors, but engineering and biology students find it easier to complete these requirements. Students may not use more than two of the courses required for the BME minor to also satisfy requirements in their major (including technical electives). All students that propose a minor in BME must fulfill the basic math requirements (MTH 163/MTH 165).
To declare a minor in Biomedical Engineering, please submit a concentration form signed by the Biomedical Engineering Faculty Advisor, Professor Diane Dalecki, in Goergen Hall 310.
Biological Science Courses (8 credit hours)
Students must complete two life science courses (i.e., biology, microbiology, or neuroscience).
Biomedical Engineering Introductory Courses (4 credit hours)
BME 101 (4.0 credits) is a freshman or sophomore course utilizing the spectrum of examples of BME applications to introduce the scope of the discipline and its range of significance. Faculty advisors have the flexibility of substituting four credits of other BME-related courses.
Engineering Courses (12 credit hours)
Choose three engineering courses, two of which must be BME courses, including any 400-level BME courses or cross-listed courses.
Students are warned to confirm that all prerequisites for the courses below are fulfilled.
- BME 201 – Fundamentals of Biomechanics (4.0 credits) and
- BME 201L – Fundamentals of Biomechanics Lab (1.0 credits)
- BME 210 – Biosystems & Circuits (4.0 credits)
- BME 218 – Introduction to Neuroengineering (4.0 credits)
- BME 221 – Biomedical Computation & Statistics (4.0 credits)
- BME 228 – Physiological Control Systems (4.0 credits)
- BME 230 – BME Signals, Systems and Imaging (4.0 credits)
- BME 245 – Biomaterials (4.0 credits)
- BME 251 – Biomedical Ultrasound (4.0 credits)
- BME 260 – Quantitative Physiology (4.0 credits)
- BME 262 – Cell & Tissue Engineering (4.0 credits)
- BME 270 – Biomedical Microscopy (4.0 credits)
- BME 274 – Biomedical Sensors, Circuits & Instrumentation (4.0 credits)
- BME 283 – Biosolid Mechanics (4.0 credits)
- BME 391 – Independent Readings (variable credits)
- CHE 243 – Fluid Dynamics (4.0 credits)
- ME 225 – Introduction to Fluid Dynamics (4.0 credits)
- CHE 259 – Transport Phenomena In Biological Systems (4.0 credits)
- ECE 210 – Circuits & Microcontrollers for Engineers (4.0 credits)
- ECE 113 – Circuits & Signals (4.0 credits)
- ME 226 – Introduction to Solid Mechanics (4.0 credits)
- OPT 224 – Opto-Electronics I (4.0 credits)
- OPT 241 – Geometrical Optics (4.0 credits)